Our clients, employees, and community are our family. Our best day is when we help them.
Veterinary assistants are vital to our team. They work with the Director of Medicine, who oversees our medical services and quality to deliver the best animal care to our clients. You assist our medical team in achieving high quality medicine for our growing community by strict compliance of hospital policy. This position allows you contribute to excellent care of the pets in our area! We expect all team mates follow company policy, so our clinic can expand and help more of our patients.
This position is a wonderful opportunity for students who are on a career path towards veterinary medicine. This position can be held as a full time or part time position. Weekends are required.
We need a new vet assistant to add to the team as our clinic continues to grow. Veterinary assistants are challenged to keep efficient in assisting a busy three doctor practice, while adapting to a variety of medical situations and tasks delegated by the medical team. Individuals who adapt quickly to a variety of situations using written protocols will thrive in this environment. Some of the expectations of a veterinary assistant are listed below:
- Provide restraint of pets for examination and treatment by veterinarian.
- Enter charges for the veterinarian after exams and procedures.
- Prepare for office hours by stocking drawers and refrigerators in exam rooms and treatment area and assuring that drugs and equipment are ready before appointments and procedures.
- Help the doctor treat patients; assist in medical or surgical procedures such as irrigating wounds, medication, cleansing wounds, and bandaging. Perform the full range of “table-side” assistance to the practitioners.
- Help doctor administer anesthetics and prepare patients for surgery under the supervision of medical staff.
- Properly clean, pack and autoclave all surgical materials after they are used. Keep the operating room properly stocked, sterilized, and prepared for surgery.
- Monitor patient’s progress in clinic by recording patient weights and temperatures, recording observations on patient status such as dehydration status, nature and amount of vomitus, bowel movements, and urinations under the direction of the medical team.
- Maintain an appropriate inventory of all supplies as dictated by the inventory control system. Inform office manager as needed about items that need to be ordered. Check expiration dates, rotate stock and store. Keep abreast of over-the-counter products and their usage such as flea control and skin products, vitamins, and pet foods. Also understand usage and recommendations for such prescription drugs as heartworm preventative and prescription flea control products.
- Assist with vaccination and procedures in the clinic on cattle.
- Assist kennel personnel in keeping patients clean and dry.
- Assist the receptionists when necessary and assume their duties during their absence.
We seek courteous, enthusiastic, motivated, team members with strong communication skills. Team members should be willing to learn and contribute to success within the clinic.
All team members are reviewed on a weekly basis by our Director of Administration, and by the clinic owner and yearly basis. We believe strongly in supporting you reaching your goals. Our Director of Administration will help you to hit your weekly goals as set by weekly team meetings, and on your own personal standards. The company owner reviews your progress and does an annual review. Opportunities can present themselves for those that show they are goal driven through statistical analysis.
If you lack clinical experience, we are willing and eager to train the right person into this position! A four-level training sequence is laid out for employees by our Director of Administration. A review is conducted with each training level to ensure all questions are answered.
Compensation can vary due to experience and contributions to the clinic, but starting wage is 10-13$ per hour. Employees receive a uniform and CE allowance, benefits, and pet discounts. Interested candidates should forward a cover letter, resume, and the job application to our careers page, dellsvet.com/join-the-team/.